Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Facebook Freak

Since I’ve been blogging, I’ve been introduced to a number of other hip internet channels. Like Twitter. Twitter seems like fun. A public forum for all my trivial random thoughts? Perfect! But I’ve resisted because I knew I’d become obsessed with it.

Recently my dear friend Kristin sends me an email suggesting I join Facebook. I respectfully ignored it for the same reason I have resisted Twitter. And because I remember losing hours of my life on classmates.com before my high school reunion. Kristin’s email has sat in my inbox…tempting me. Then we had dinner with a friend and she is on Facebook. It helps her keep in touch with both family and friends. Then I spent the weekend with an amazing group of women and at least half of them are on Facebook. They love it…and you can monitor who can see what…and there’s groups and networks…blah, blah, blah. That was the straw that broke this camel's back.

The last two days I’ve been crazy obsessed with it. Searching out and finding old, and current, friends. Reading and posting on walls. Adding photos. Lucky for me…and my productivity…my employer blocks the site on the office network. Otherwise I’d be on it even more than I am now. Steve came home the other night while I was on it. He casually informs me he is signed up on it for networking, but never goes on it. My reaction, “What?! You are?! You have to be my friend!” Did I mention crazy obsessed? But it really is fun getting reacquainted with old friends. I just found an old friend from Schenectady. That seems like a lifetime ago...oh wait...it's actually two-thirds of a lifetime ago. So I’m thinking that once this initial finding old friends part slows down, the novelty will wear off? Maybe??

In the meantime, if you know me…you can find me there. I’d just love to be your friend. ;-)

1 comment:

shokaku said...

The only reason I signed up for facebook was so Maya and I could play on-line scrabble. The next day they cancelled the game because they got sued.