Monday, April 13, 2009

That do that you do

As the mother of two girls I'm pretty inept at doing hair. Some of it certainly has to do with my level of patience. It may also be because I haven't had much opportunity to practice. Em didn't really have any hair to work with until she was about 2 years old. Then when she finally had some it was fine and thin so I'd be lucky to get it pulled into a couple of blond horns growing out of the top of her head. Now that she's older and has a head full of beautiful blond hair, she doesn't want me fussing over it. Also, she has the same texture of hair that I had when I was her age. It's silky smooth and super straight so it falls out of most dos.

Megan has lovely hair. She was born with a head full of wavy dark curls. (Do you know the old wives tale about heartburn during pregnancy means a head full of hair on the baby? Well it proved to be true in the case of my pregnancies.) What Megan was not born with was a disposition to sit still and have her hair done. Despite this, I've kept her hair long for fear of cutting off the curls. Because of the length, the curly texture and my decision to not fight that particular battle, Meg spent most of her third and fourth years with an unruly "mop top".

But now she's in her fifth year and she's mellowing. With this mellowing has come a willingness to sit still long enough to have her hair done (and to look flabulous). Sometimes I can even convince her to sit for braids, as she did yesterday. Check out the results.



No comments: