He did achieve his retirement goal when mom and he settled into their current home in Florida. It has a big lot that he enjoyed puttering around in. Nurturing flower beds, transplanting more Easter lilies and learning what would thrive in his new tropical home.
That desire to sow and cultivate plants has been passed along to me. When we planned out the landscaping for our backyard 8 years ago, I had them set aside a small plot of dirt for a garden. The first year or two I grew some tomato plants and experimented with what would thrive in my new desert home. But eventually I got busy with a young family and a career.
This year, with the girls being old enough to help, we started it up again. We've got a few tomato plants, a chili pepper, red pepper, basil and yellow squash (and yes, a few weeds). Emily also planted her cabbage from a 3rd grade project. It's been a fun experience with the girls to learn how vegetables are actually grown and we certainly enjoy the tasty crop we've had so far.
Unfortunately my father's health is failing now so he doesn't get to putter around in his own back yard anymore. So to honor him, the dirt farmer, we have officially named our own "PopPop's Garden."
1 comment:
Tambo - I applaud you for finding the time to create and continue such an amazing tradition with your girls. You never cease to amaze me and I aspire to be like you!!
Post a Comment