Friday, September 12, 2008

Project Landscape

We’re redoing our front yard as a xeriscape. This involves taking out the grass and planting more arid friendly plants that will conserve both water and Steve’s time. I’d be lying if I said I won’t miss the grass a little. Doesn’t it have a certain amount of curb appeal?



But all sentimentality aside, I am not the one that has to mow and edge it every other week. Not to mention the reseeding process. In Arizona we have two types of grass. The summer grass goes dormant in the winter so it requires it to be cut down to the dirt, seeded with winter rye, covered with fertilizer and then watered…a lot. That responsibility falls on Steve. Then there is the overzealous HOA monitor. In the dead of summer we actually got a letter saying we had to do something with our annual flower bed. The uncovered dirt was unacceptable. Has she tried to keep annuals looking perky and fresh through the hottest month of the year? (insert eyeroll here). So it was agreed that we would replace it with a more desert-friendly landscape. We’ll still have the grass in back for the girls to enjoy and fortunately they don’t send out nasty letters if it gets a little shaggy.

“Demo” work began this morning. Here’s a peek at what we came home to this evening. I’ll be sure to share the finished product in the next couple weeks.

No comments: